Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Smuggler's blues

I've got contraband. I'm heading across state lines. I'm your hook-up if need-be.

Today, I spent my last full day on this trip to SC gathering up some edible culture to carry back up north:

Maurice Bessinger's barbecue sauce. The yellow stuff. Please, PLEASE at some point try the tangy, sweet decadent taste of authentic South carolina mustard-based barbecue. www.mauricesbbq.com

Diet Cheerwine. All of the flavor, none of the carbs. You can't get it in Wisconsin. Cheerwine makes a great float with vanilla ice cream.

Raw peanuts. 5 lbs worth. You can't get raw (our people call them "green") peanuts up there. Obviously, these are for boiling in a salt-heavy brine, and consuming in mass quantities underneath the carport.

I tried to get a bushel of peaches, but it's early in the season, and myself and the lovely young woman will be briefly visiting the Palmetto State in early August. Prime peach time. By the way, Georgia is NOT the peach state....SC is the best!

Yellow BBQ, boiled peanuts, beer, and cheese...sounds like a pretty decent cross-cultural smorgasboard to me.

4 comments:

SexyCool said...

cheerwine...d@mn that makes me miss living in the carolina's...

Brett said...

Your making those of us without carports feel inferior.

Oob said...

mmmmmmmmmmm

boiled peanuts.

Will said...

Georgia Peaches are better. That's all I have to say. GameCock