Thursday, June 16, 2005

Good ol' Protestant guilt

Knight's right. You can go home again. But take my advice. Don't make it too long.

Each summer I make a marathon drive from Cheeseland to Red Bank for a long stay with Mom and Dad. This is a wonderful benefit of the academic schedule, especially in the haughty-taughty world of post-secondary insitutions. I make this time because I (being an only child) am particularly close to my parents and extended family, and I see the month-long break as an opportunity to catch up with them, and a few other special friends in the region. There are weekend excursions to shore and hill, to a fish fry and Sunday supper, and then just time to be alone. Alone and still in a place that moves a little quicker than it used to, but still, nonetheless.

Contemplation?.....check. Deep thought about relationships?....check. Reevaluating "the plan?".....check.

I've gotten a lot done this vacation. Now what? Um.... ah-hem.... err... I'm in my house, in my home state, taking in the glow of hearth, home, and doing absolutely nothing. I don't think that I've actually recovered from the usual 11 month pace that I've set for myself. I find myself even trying to "git 'er dun" in leisure/family activities. My left brain is screaming, "You've done everything you've wanted to do on vacation...so let's GOOOOOOOO!!!!....get on with it, already!"

And on top of that (without sounding too high-and-mighty), I'm bored at staying at Chez Cor-ley. Good parents always want more and better for their kids; mine sure did. I know that I've been far more educated than they, and as a result have different and deeper thoughts on most things that occupy my mind. When deep conversation erodes to, "Man, Chipper better get better in a hurry," or "I don't care which flavor of ice cream you get, Mom, " I feel guilty.

The rosy, let's-wrap-this-up way to see it is: I've gotten a chance to spend a significant amount of time (regardless of quality) with people that I care the most for, and an oppotunity to return to a more relaxed pace, without all that....huh, critical thinking!

But I can't help thinking, "Is simply talking about things at face value a real connection...and I am really trying hard enough?" What to do when you see yourself growing apart from the people you really love the most?

1 comment:

Mr. Oubre said...

I know exactly what you mean. Can't elaborate, but I know what you mean. :)