Thursday, July 21, 2005

Chicago

With as many Illinois license plates as you see around Milwaukee, it's almost like we're the northern-most suburb of the City with Broad Shoulders (definitely an antiquated nickname). I don't mind Milwaukee being the little brother of such a fantastic city. Though I have not to date taken sufficient advantage of my proximity, I am grateful to my girlfriend's resident (summer) Master's program through the VanderCook College of Music for creating a "reason" for getting there.

Case in point:
I drove down yesterday afternoon after teaching MB Tech. We took in a band (nycomusic.com) that one of her best friends plays guitar for...it was his first gig with the group. They are fine, but I must admit, I found myself realizing that I have been spoiled by our songwriting friend (the newest resident of Nash-Vegas), as their originals were not "all that." It didn't help that a couple of the tunes at the opening of the set were sang in a epherial falsetto (tough to understand). Their best stuff was driving, mid-range, hard rocking songs. The drummer was fantastic. This group has a decent concept of sound and projects their musical energy pretty well. Definitely did their job as an opening act. 56 Hope Road (56hoperd.com) was the excellent headlining act. I liked what I heard before we had to leave. They had quite a following, and after hearing 3-4 tunes, I can undestand why.

Hope to continue "going down" on....I mean TO Chicago.

2 comments:

Brett said...

Damnit, just as you were saying that I was writing to pitch in response to a new listing from Yoko Ono.

Ludakit said...

Are we still alive?