Monday, March 07, 2005

Dickens, a la Frasier Crane

For a premier post, I was trying to think of something profound; something memorable, lasting throughout the ages. Something like, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...." from "A Tale of Two Cities." That's fresh on my mind, as I was watching an old "Cheers" re-run on Nick-at-Nite, and in an attempt to elevate the cultural knowledge of the regular stool-sitters in the pub, Frasier began to read to Norm, Cliff, et al, the aforementioned literary classic. They quickly became disinterested in the verbose syntax and confused by the list of opening polarities. That is, until Frasier (picking up on their disinterest) began to assist Mr. Dickens by adding fights, explosions, gunfire, and other "action movie" elements to his oration. This sub-plot continues through the episode until the end when Frasier "reads," "'...tis a far, far better thing that I have ever done before. And 'tis a far better...uh, umm, buttkicking that I have ever...errr...buttkicked!" The group, huddled around Fraiser like their fourth grade teacher reading "The Red Badge of Courage " to them, explodes into cheers for their hero.

You're invited here as often as you'd like. I hope you'll enjoy and/or comment on the entries......or at least as much as I can get down while I rough up these two big guys in ski masks who just broke into the living room. I love my Louisville Slugger.

7 comments:

Trey said...

About damn time! Welcome to the negation of the need for conversation...

Gunner said...

It doesn't negate it...it's a conversation "enhancer"..like "shit" and "F^*k"...Welcome oh ye of carport and 212 degree hydro peanut fame.

Brett said...

I've got nothing profound but welcome. Oh, and post at least once every three days or Russ will flame your ass worse than a gay Baptist minister that works for Cingular.

Russell said...

Well, I do have experience with a gay baptist minister that works for Smingular.

But that's adifferent story for a different time.

Will said...

Welcome....that's all. Just welcome....I'm not as smart as everyone else.

Michael said...

Welcome to our world, my man. I must echo Brett's warning...I would hate for you to get off on the wrong foot with Rusty, hereby known as the "blog police."

Keep us entertained, and we will try to do the same for you.

Corley said...

Love the love. Grassy-ass, everybody.